Airsoft is really fun,
Airsoft Safety Rules
Rules vary from region to region and different states regulate Airsoft differently. View our airsoft law articles here to see the laws in your state if you live in the USA.
The rules below are basic airsoft rules to be observed both in and out of the field. Some are Laws and ignoring them will get you in trouble with the law, and some are basic procedures that will keep you and your fellow players safe when in and out of the field.
Don’t Brandish Airsoft Gun in Public:
Brandishing an airsoft gun in public is both illegal and dumb. Airsoft guns are almost identical to their more dangerous relatives and people will not be able to tell the difference between an airsoft gun and a real firearm. It is therefore VERY important to ensure that never brandish your airsoft gun when you are in pubic places like roads, parks schools etc. One good way of safely storing away your airsoft gun is placing your airsoft gun in a gun case or protective bag. Below (Jump to Airsoft Gun Cases) is a list of gun cases at different price points that you can consider getting if you don’t already have a case.
Never point an airsoft gun at anyone outside of an airsoft Game:
Whether jokingly or intending to scare them, this is
Play in Official Airsoft Fields:
It is most advised that you play your airsoft games in official playing fields and not your back yard. The reason for this is because the field is usually located far from public places like parks and also far from residential areas. This will lower your chances of scaring people going about their day who might think that you are walking around with real firearms. If you do decide to play in your private residence, make sure that you inform your neighbors so that they don’t cause trouble for you with the law.
Eye protection must be worn:
both by the shooter and all other people around them. This will protect you from the danger of inadvertent fire before game play.
Always consider an airsoft gun as Loaded:
Keeping this assumption will keep your mind alert when handling your airsoft gun and when others are handling their guns around you. Most accidents happen when you get too relaxed when handling dangerous equipment.
All safeties should be on until you star your airsoft game.
You should ensure that everyone in your team maintains this habit and create ways of enforcing this
Keep your finger off the trigger:
Keep your finger off the trigger until you have your target in sight. When we are excited, we may get trigger happy and shoot at something we were not expecting.
Never shoot through the safe area.
The people in this area may not have the necessary safety equipment and you may injure them inadvertently.
Have Proper Footwear:
Airsoft fields are usually really rugged and one of the injuries you will need to protect yourself from are sprained ankles. You need to have boots that provide proper ankle protection. Hiking boots like this one provide good ankle protection and will protect you from injuries when you are running on top of rocks and bushes.
Always Point your Airsoft Gun Below Your Waist
This will protect you from hurting any one if your gun does go off unintentionally. Keeping this habit whenever you handle your airsoft gun will prepare you for when your gun is actually loaded.
Airsoft Safety Tips & Tricks
Below are safety tips that will keep you and your fellow players safe when playing airsoft.
Get good eye protection
that is impact rated. GEtting ANSI Z87.1 goggles like the ones below will give you maximum protection since they have been tested for impact resistance:
You need to have a safety word that would be used when an incident happens in the field that needs immediate attention and requires the game to stop. Having everyone in the field know this word will prevent game play from continuing when there is a situation within the field.
Clear your airsoft gun after each game:
Your gun may still be having bbs even after removing the mag. To ensure that your gun is safe to carry into a safe zone, pull the trigger for a few seconds for
Remove mag from airsoft gun before leaving the field.
Here is a video
Airsoft Safety tips for Kids
Airsoft can be fun for kids. However, with the safety concerns that exist for airsoft, it is important to ensure that the kids are playing safely and that they do not get themselves in trouble or hurt others when playing airsoft.
A Few General Tips for Airsoft Safety For Kids
Find out if its legal in your state for kids to use airsoft guns
If your child is interested in playing airsoft, you need to first find out is whether it is legal fro minors to handle airsoft guns. I have done research on a number of state’s Airsoft laws and you might want to read those before allowing your child to use an airsoft gun.
Lay down the rules for the use of Airsoft Guns by your kids.
Next sit down with your child and lay down the rules for them to use an airsoft gun. some of the following may be useful:
- Airsoft cant be played outside of a sanctioned airsoft field
- Airsoft guns must always remain in a gun case or gun bag until you arrive at a sanctioned airsoft field
- Safety gear must be worn at all times you are at the airsoft field
- Under no circumstances can the airsoft gun be pointed at anyone outside of the airsoft field.
- The Magazine of the gun should always be detached from the gun unless you are in game play.
These rules are just a suggestion and can be adjusted to suite your needs. However, safety should never be understated and proper gun-handling habits should be formed to ensure that proper handling of an airsoft gun becomes second nature.
How to handle Airsoft Related Injury
Eye injuries in Airsoft
In the event of an eye injury when playing airsoft it is important that the eye
First Aid Instructions for Eye Injuries:
- Tell the person not to rub their eyes
- Check their eyes to see if there is any foreign object in the eyes and wash it off with clean water
- Put a sterile gauze or bandage on the eye and ask the person to hold it
- Take the person to a hospital immediately.
here is a short video showing you how to do it:
Fall Injuries In Airsoft
Fall in juries happen quite often and may result form many causes. Good airsoft fields have many obstacles and may be set in nature where there are a lot of rocks and logs in the field. The most frequent injury in the airsoft field is sprained or rolled ankles due running through the uneven terrain in the field.
First Aid Instructions & Tips for Rolled Ankles
When someone rolls their ankle in the airsoft field, you need to follow the following steps:
- Rest the injured limb to relieve pressure from it
- Put ice on the limb if it is available. Ice cold water might also help
- Apply compression on the ankle area through a bandage as shown in the video below
- elevate the foot for as long as it is possible.
Once you do this, Get the person to a hospital as soon as possible to prevent the rolled ankle from getting worse.
More Serious Fall Injuries
When playing in a
Here are a few things to indicate that someone has had a head injury
- Unresponsiveness from the person for a period of time
- A head wound
- if the person is dizzy or nauseous
- if the person has lost memory
- if the person has a headache
- if the person seems confused
Signs of someone with major head injury
- Unresponsiveness to the
- If the person has leakage of fluid from their ears, or nose
- If the person’s pupils are unequal
How to check for level of response to inform you of what steps you need to take
- Is the person alert to the surroundings and to things happening around them? in this case, the injury may be minor
- is the person responsive to your voice when you talk to them? In this case the injury may be slightly serious and needs attention.
- is the person unresponsive to your voice but can respond to pain? eg if you pinch him does he respond? in this case the injury is more severe and needs immediate attention.
- Is the person completely unresponsive: in this case, you need to get this person to a hospital as soon as possible.
First Aid for Minor Head Injuries
- Place an ice pack on the hit area if it is not bleeding to reduce the swelling.
- Keep the scalp wound under pressure to reduce bleeding
- Prevent the player from getting back to an airsoft game (even when they say they feel fine) until they are assessed by a doctor.
- Advise the injured person to get checked by a doctor if their condition gets worse.
Here is a video that talks about how to handle head injuries.
Airsoft Safety Gear
I will conclude this post with some of the safety gear that you need to have when playing Airsoft. The links below are of vetted airsoft products that will provide you with great protection when you are playing your game.
Airsoft Protective Vest
Airsoft Protective vests help in guarding your chest
View Price On Amazon Now
The proper airsoft safety goggles should naturally exceed ANSI Z87.1 High Impact Requirements so as to keep the eyes safe even when
Airsoft Masks help protect your face from the sharp sting caused by bbs on
Airsoft Protection Kit
A good airsoft helmet will help you prevent serious injury if you trip and fall when on your airsoft game. Plus they also look cool when you have them on.
Aside from looking really cool, Airsoft gloves help shield your hands from bbs which might also come from close range.
Airsoft Neck Protection
A normal scarf would do when you want to protect your face but you but you may also want to have custom gear.
Now a good airsoft gun case will protect you from a world of legal challenges and will also help you get your airsoft gun to and from an airsoft game without brandishing